OK, what's with the idiot spammer(s)?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: OK, what's with the idiot spammer(s)?

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:26 am

Once more I wonder whether my spammer threshold is set too low. Consider the case of saacbeser, who is most likely a human (as the next part of the post will indicate), with three posts to their name at the time of this writing, and a link in their sig for "discount Juicy couture".

Let's look at their post production as it stands now.

From "A Tale from Taz" (but not the "reactions to" thread, the naughty person):

saacbeser wrote:On his hands and knees, Phineas took a moment to spit out a mouthful of dirty river brine before standing up and offering a hand to Eliza. All enemy units in the garrison were now croaked or captured. The city had fallen. They had won.

Yes, Phineas and Eliza are characters from a Tale from Taz. Or this, from "a controversial topic":

saacbeser wrote:abbreviation that adds nothing to the topic but implies the thread will be terminated shortly.

Or this from "Apparently it's Spambot season":
saacbeser wrote:It's always spambot season. Spambots are considered "varmints" with no bag limit or other hunting restrictions.

Funnily enough, the exact same thing was posted by SteveMB a few months ago in that thread.

So the bottom line is whether plugging a clothing store, while making marginal input, is kosher.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:18 am

Discount *juicy* couture?

Rarity would disapprove.
drachefly

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:49 pm

UPDATE:

BLANDCorporatio wrote:So the bottom line is whether plugging a clothing store, while making marginal input, is kosher.

Apparently not, as the three posts quoted disappeared. The user is still in the user list (then again, so's PlotArmour, including their posts).

Also, I've been a fool. Looking closer at the quoted texts, I realized ALL appeared previously in posts from the respective thread, not just SteveMB's comment on spam-hunting.

So yeah. Looks like an automated procedure after all.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby SteveMB » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:06 pm

I think the accounts are still on the master list, even if posting privileges are revoked for spamming (or for being a jerk, or whatever).

Anybody else feel the earthquake on the East Coast a while ago?
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:44 pm

Oh dada spam how I missed ye. (Links scrubbed, and they were plenty):

eulaliawarf wrote:without considering Peyton's grudges, Elena specialityes the relationshep into a full-puffn activity. Durind the triumphtnam reckless, a U. A polluteden Tib damn near airs her concealment and basisful thickheaded-owner Chripennilessher entrancingson, whose marriepoch commensurate she rvomit ups, tellys her that her fastenuality is a restrained of pull strings eruptssip. After analyzing the teenyearsr, Jane lion's shares a diagnosis of mulpunyle unendingality jumble until the age that Dorubyhy smediators forlornh the the latest of David, Jane's dun stagnant son. While sincereing to essubservientlye from the pperplexing and the run rings, they reveal the perceptiveness cautiousing tackle musingh the hint that had been used eight tone colours.

A ressign team in spossessor clock ons to investiaudience and if chance, resremind a vanish into thin airvernment spacesup on make offne falsifying also in behalf of sthresholdn yregards. The real-invention city-dwellers of Kipling were designate in supspongying shafts. Lemmy counts discussions absorbedh friboundarys, dearest, bandmates open sesame and cool-headedness and regardrs/peers such as Sprurient, Dave Grohl, Ozzy Osbourne, afflictioner clip, Alice Cooper, Mick Jcomings of The argument, CC Asmodeusle of suspended and perniciousy others. the theatre artstic brinknts that predominated the American howevers course as he collects upper-class access to the newsmore than halfrs at the heartfulness of each violent - exemplares, vwrongains, perbanerators, inconstancys, kinsfolk declines and law enforhold fragranceicials - to find mystical and seragate the fact from the fiction.

Isn't that a beaut? It's like sentences cut over each other midway.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:06 pm

I just wanted to take a moment to memorialize NapyspabFarty (who, I assume, descends from a long and illustrious line of Fartys) before all evidence of his existence is wiped out. His name appeals to me, for I have the refined humor of an 8-year-old.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby Sieggy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:55 pm

Dunno . . . sounds like a Sarah Palin tweet when she's smoking meth . . .
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby Beeskee » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:08 pm

These automated spams are ridiculous. Sure, it might bump a page rank up for a few days until all the search engines updated their cache, and get the occasional click from someone who mis-clicked or something. But to actually get people to BUY something, it might make more sense to become a contributing member of that community, and then post your ad in the appropriate section with a correct title and some actual facts about your product.

In other news, try new Derpy brand Derpy-O's! They'rrrrrrrrrre edible!

Unlike other children's cereals, we use only non-toxic ingredients. :)
Beeskee

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:36 am

MarbitChow wrote:I just wanted to take a moment to memorialize NapyspabFarty (who, I assume, descends from a long and illustrious line of Fartys) before all evidence of his existence is wiped out. His name appeals to me, for I have the refined humor of an 8-year-old.

:lol: Well done, Farty. Your name shall live on in (in)famy.

Beeskee wrote:In other news, try new Derpy brand Derpy-O's! They'rrrrrrrrrre edible!

Unlike other children's cereals, we use only non-toxic ingredients. :)

Buy wow gold. Wow gold here. Organically farmed. Wow gold. Our farmers are free range. Gold for Wow. Gold. We don't keep them in cages. Wow Gold. Ethically farmed.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:56 pm

That reads like a line from Freberg's Green Chri$tma$. Ah, Lehrer. Got it.
drachefly

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:23 pm

This is awesome! No longer must I hunt for spam in far away exotic places, it comes right into the spamology thread! Eeeeexcellent. Let's see what's salvage-worthy.

EDIT:

I'm partial to this pearl of wisdom

NellMumeher wrote:An individual. Compounding

Time frame might be investor’s buddy this is because creates compounding opportunity to give good results the country's miraculous. Adding to stands out as the exact course of action where fascination regarding your take advantage flip makes curiosity as well as being included with ones large.

Not one but two. Handsomely
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:25 am

Since some things have at times stayed up for extended periods, I was wondering - might it be worthwhile to establish a lower rank of moderator - the spaminator - whose only power and responsibility is to zap blatant spam? If they zap something that isn't blatant spam, bad things happen (to them). You could have a dozen of these spaminators - since their job is so clearly limited and defined, it wouldn't require extensive training or policing. All you'd need is a record of their actions, including the content of the banished posts. Glance over it once in a while.

Thoughts? Especially from any official types?
drachefly

Postby warriortribble » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:44 pm

I'd certainly be all for one or two people having spam deleting powers.
warriortribble

Postby Sieggy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:23 pm

The spam is getting to be a bit much, the one up today is simply not acceptable. The administrator either needs to put in a verification filter to stop the spambots or a 'report abuse' button so that forum denizens can pull down the crap that's been appearing with unfortunate regularity. Make it known that abusing this will result in being banned, and I doubt there will be a problem. But enough is enough - there are tools that can be easily implemented to stop this nonsense, and I really think it's time to do so.

A "spaminator" would be a good idea, I volunteer. There are some other regulars who check in often enough to do this as well . . . though putting in an 'abuse' button that if, say, more than 6 people click it would result in the offending post being sent to a cyber-holding cell would also work. But the spam is now getting offensive, and it's time to deal with it.
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby drachefly » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:45 pm

There is a report abuse button - the ! icon. Spam IS promptly reported, but not so promptly removed.
drachefly

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:11 am

More litrrchurr.

stuv434 wrote:crossways the dispiriting trees. Patch he searched their shadows, the strangest constituent interbred his surface. His lips pulled gage over his set and his eyes shone with.

stuv345 wrote:an odd luminescent a savage, furious charitable cheapest of hope. "Yet, what I wouldn't afford to get her that uncommunicative," he murmured. "Victoria, and anyone else who's .

You know, if one day I collect this output into a best-selling volume of absurdist poetry, thereby becoming rich and famous, am I liable to be sued by spambots?

Of course, poetry is dead so the basic premise of that is wrong, but as a hypothetical. Do I need to start networking among lawyers?
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:15 am

On another note, I'd like to follow the example of the Erfworld website and congratulate

Choolypereewzpcu (26), Choolypereeykgdp (26), and Choolypereexxhxf (26)

on their birthday. Triplets?
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby effataigus » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:34 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:On another note, I'd like to follow the example of the Erfworld website and congratulate

Choolypereewzpcu (26), Choolypereeykgdp (26), and Choolypereexxhxf (26)

on their birthday. Triplets?

Nope, just the three aspects of the faceless prince of perplexingly poignant gobbledegook: Gibberlarkhamen. The webmaster agonized about it for awhile, but was persuaded by Gibb's nonsensical vomit of mangled prose to let him have one account for each vacant countenance.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby drachefly » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:03 pm

I reiterate my motion for a legion of spaminators. There are at least 5 wild spam posts out and about.
drachefly

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else Erfworld