Game mechanics

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Game mechanics

Postby raphfrk » Fri May 08, 2009 6:43 am

The creators creators that the people of Erf don't know very much about the XP-ing system.

In RL, the players of MMORPGs tend to be able to figure out how the game mechanics work. In effect, they work like physicists and experiment. They might hit the same mob 1000 times and vary their strength stat (say with a collection +str item) and see what effect it has on damage.

I wonder if the same thing happens in Erfworld. You could have people trying to figure out the game system by experiment.

If a side did this, it is not likely that they would share their knowledge with the other sides, so it may not be common knowledge.

Also, Parson's bracer fundamantally requires knowledge of the physics. When he is explaining his strategy of maximising their bonus while killing the enemy leaders to minimise the coalition's bonus, he said that he has been examining the game system via the bracer. (Presumably, he tried lots of different battle scenarios, to find out which one gives the best results).

Anyway, he obviously doesn't know much about the world, so the underlying equations must be built into the bracer. This could mean that it gives him the basic mathamancy knowledge of the world, that all mathamaners would have. Alternatively, it might combine the processing power of the electronics in Parson's watch with the exact equations of Erf's game physics engine.

This means that he could quickly carry out experiments in order to refine his knowledge of the game world (kinda similar to what he did with the bonuses). This could allow GK optimise general operations and in war logistics are very important (the whole "an army marches on its stomach" effect). For example, he might figure out how best to level units, balancing safety and speed or what kind of stacks would allow the rebuilding to go faster. Also, assuming rush builds are possible, there would be a balance between spending money (as that ties up Sizemore mining more gems) and just waiting.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 am

Re: Game mechanics

Postby RebelWulf » Fri May 08, 2009 9:57 am

Or, Parson is a Math Geek with a Calculator Watch?
"I Booped her right in the Booping Parking lot!"
"... You gotta be Booping kidding me? BOOP YEAH!"
RebelWulf
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 7:00 am

Re: Game mechanics

Postby raphfrk » Fri May 08, 2009 10:09 am

RebelWulf wrote:Or, Parson is a Math Geek with a Calculator Watch?


But how does he know what calculations to actually do?

Assuming you have a simple 1 vs 1 battle between 2 units, even if you know their stats, you still can't work out the probability of each unit winning that easily.

For example, what is the chance of unit A winning:

Unit A
Damage per turn: 5 to 15 (random)
Health: 100

Unit B
Damage per turn: 12 to 14 (random)
Health: 80

Both are at full health at the start, hit simulataneously, and die when health is taken below zero.

B is more likely to win, because after 8 turns, B will do 104 points of damage and A will have done 80 points of damage on average. Working out the exact percentages is pretty hard. Also, there is a chance of a draw if they both kill each other on their last stike.

Now, apply that same kind of to a 100 vs 100 battle, and it isn't something you can do with a calculator watch. (though you can simplify the calculations slightly, it isn't 100 times harder).
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 am

Re: Game mechanics

Postby konmanrocks » Fri May 08, 2009 3:07 pm

raphfrk wrote:
RebelWulf wrote:Or, Parson is a Math Geek with a Calculator Watch?


But how does he know what calculations to actually do?

Assuming you have a simple 1 vs 1 battle between 2 units, even if you know their stats, you still can't work out the probability of each unit winning that easily.

For example, what is the chance of unit A winning:

Unit A
Damage per turn: 5 to 15 (random)
Health: 100

Unit B
Damage per turn: 12 to 14 (random)
Health: 80

Both are at full health at the start, hit simulataneously, and die when health is taken below zero.

B is more likely to win, because after 8 turns, B will do 104 points of damage and A will have done 80 points of damage on average. Working out the exact percentages is pretty hard. Also, there is a chance of a draw if they both kill each other on their last stike.

Now, apply that same kind of to a 100 vs 100 battle, and it isn't something you can do with a calculator watch. (though you can simplify the calculations slightly, it isn't 100 times harder).

possibly it just shows up like the unit stats with his glasses, that way he doesnt have to fumble to long with those small buttons.
konmanrocks
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 2:54 am
Location: Washington State

Re: Game mechanics

Postby raphfrk » Fri May 08, 2009 6:01 pm

konmanrocks wrote:possibly it just shows up like the unit stats with his glasses, that way he doesnt have to fumble to long with those small buttons.


Absolutely, the watch is embedded into the bracer, so he can't press the buttons even if he wanted to. The bracer either presses the buttons (maybe they will get worn down?), or magically connects to the IC in the watch. The 2nd option is better as a calculator would have a much faster processing capability than you could ever use due to having to type in the numbers.

Anyway, my point is still valid. You can't do the calculations unless you know the underlying equations and even then it is hard.

I think the bracer probably knows the equations and can somehow magically use the mathematical power of the watch to do any needed calculations. The question is how detailed they are.
Last edited by raphfrk on Sat May 09, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 am

Re: Game mechanics

Postby Kreistor » Sat May 09, 2009 9:03 am

Rob made it clear in the post about Experience that it is extremely difficult to test the XP system. It is nearly impssible to arrange enemies that are all of the same type to experiement upon,so there is an introduction of variance by the very creatures you fight. This suggests that not all Level 1 Units provide the same XP value, for instance. It may also be influenced by amental state, and other situational modifiers. (NUmber of allies, presence of leadership, total bonuses, etc. XP itself is not proven to exist, but it is strongly suspected.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
User avatar
Kreistor
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: K-W, Ontario, Canada


Return to Everything Else Erfworld

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests