Jillian has the arkenshoes!

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: Jillian has the arkenshoes!

Postby Whispri » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:16 am

0beron wrote:Actually there is. The whole reason they look different is because they are not made by Erflings, they are somewhat foreign to the normal mechanics of Erfworld. Whether they were actually made by the Titans could be debated since we have little proof of the Titans ever existing, but we do know that the 'Tools are not really part of Erfworld's normal operation, and thus appear accordingly foreign.

Think of it like this. In the real world, we have the luxury of being able to test things and determine what the laws of the world are. In a comic/story however, we are only shown what is relevant to the plot, and a writer only has that context in which to "teach" us the rules of their fantasy world. So rather than using the scientific method, we have to instead adopt the "if we see it once, then we know it is always true the rest of the time" approach. For Rob to mess with this unspoken understanding of storytelling would be a grave mistake because it would call into question every single other thing he has taught us by example, causing undue confusion. Therefor it is reasonable to assume that because the 3 'Tools shown thus far are 3D rendered, the 'Shoes are as well.

Everything you've written there is speculation, there's no law saying your speculation can't be proven false, which is what you appear to be claiming. You have a sample size of three, that really isn't large.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Selexor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:04 am

No, but we've been told there are four Arkentools, and three of them fit a certain bill. That's a 100% of all Arkentools seen and 75% of all Arkentools that exist. As sample sizes go, that's more than enough to draw a reasonable conclusion. Until we see anything at all that even remotely hints the Arkenshoes don't have the same appearance, the smart odds say that it'll be the same as the other Tools.
But of course that's just my opinion.
Selexor

Postby 0beron » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:54 am

Whispri wrote:Everything you've written there is speculation, there's no law saying your speculation can't be proven false, which is what you appear to be claiming.

Well clearly you didn't read what I said, because yes that is exactly what I am claiming, and I gave you a detailed (albeit meta-level) explanation why. Because this is a story that we are reading rather than an actual world we are living in, it is possible to know certain things like this. Your comment about sample size is irrelevant, because even if we only knew of ONE tool and it looked that way, we'd know all of them would look that way.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby tgriff02 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:11 pm

0beron wrote:
Whispri wrote:I don't see why the lack of 3D rendering should matter, there's no law saying that the Arkentools must all share the same tell.

Actually there is. The whole reason they look different is because they are not made by Erflings, they are somewhat foreign to the normal mechanics of Erfworld. Whether they were actually made by the Titans could be debated since we have little proof of the Titans ever existing, but we do know that the 'Tools are not really part of Erfworld's normal operation, and thus appear accordingly foreign.

Think of it like this. In the real world, we have the luxury of being able to test things and determine what the laws of the world are. In a comic/story however, we are only shown what is relevant to the plot, and a writer only has that context in which to "teach" us the rules of their fantasy world. So rather than using the scientific method, we have to instead adopt the "if we see it once, then we know it is always true the rest of the time" approach. For Rob to mess with this unspoken understanding of storytelling would be a grave mistake because it would call into question every single other thing he has taught us by example, causing undue confusion. Therefor it is reasonable to assume that because the 3 'Tools shown thus far are 3D rendered, the 'Shoes are as well.

Hmmm, logic... What the heck is THAT doing on a fanforum? It must be lost, or had a flat tire... lol ;)
tgriff02

Postby drachefly » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:41 am

Speculation that the fourth arkentool ISN'T 3-D rendered is so bizarre as to make me wonder what could possibly provoke it. In order to make it seem at all plausible you need to invoke some very special pleading to explain the other three.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby bladestorm » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:11 pm

drachefly wrote:Speculation that the fourth arkentool ISN'T 3-D rendered is so bizarre as to make me wonder what could possibly provoke it. In order to make it seem at all plausible you need to invoke some very special pleading to explain the other three.

Especially since the 3d rendering is typically found just in the comics. The art in the text updates can kinda let the 3d rendering slide a little. So until we see the Shoes in the comic, we can work under the assumption that when they do appear, they will be 3d rendered.

Unless the Shoes are no longer considered among the four known arkentools.
bladestorm

Postby the_tick_rules » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:49 pm

If she had them I woulda used them before now.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby CelebrenIthil » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:52 am

effataigus wrote:
0beron wrote:WOW, that's impressive! Well I'm glad I also thought of it then, since I don't recognize any of those users, so the theory could have been lost forever!
I do love that the 4thish post down on that link is by someone called "Ancient History." :D
drachefly wrote:I waited 2 years after the end of book 1 to sign up here? Huh.
Looking back got me wondering who is still around from the younger years of this forum. Of the names I vaguely recall having seen recently, Marbitchow, Bland, Ohberon, CelebrenIthil, gameboy, joosy, Dancing Cthulhu, Angband, Kriestor, Zilfallon, LTDave, Ansan Gotti, whispri, ftl, and Housellama all made accounts around the time the forum moved over here +/- a couple of months. I was definitely surprised you were not on that list, drache!

Of course, there was supposedly a healthy amount of speculation going on back on the OOTS subforum as well.

I'm not sure that anyone cares, but I was curious.

Teehee I'm a little surprised I made the list considering how much of a lurker I am. But yes I did make an effort to post a little, lately.
Still, ~135 posts in over 3 years; 0.12 posts per day, boo-yah!

...I should try and get motivated to draw fanart again.
/wanders off
My Dwagons!
Red: Kelvin Yellow: Newton Green: Langmuir Blue: Ampere Purple: Decibel Pink: Pascal
build6 wrote:It's true, we're all gay for Tramennis, even if we're straight :-)
CelebrenIthil
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby effataigus » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:51 pm

0beron wrote:we have little proof of the Titans ever existing
I was recently arguing with myself over this point, but ultimately decided that the titans must indeed have existed. Narrators that are both omniscient and unreliable are hard to come by:

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F001.jpg

Not that we know who the narrator is yet, but he/she/it seems to be benefiting from some kind of enhanced hindsight or perspective.

CelebrenIthil wrote:...I should try and get motivated to draw fanart again.
Yesdoo! You, Infidel, and Cloudbreaker always made the coolest things.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Previous

Return to Everything Else Erfworld